Mattresses are likely to become smelly, just like any other clothing material. However, cleaning your mattress and making it smell good is relatively difficult. You cannot wash your mattress, as direct washing will not be suitable for cleaning the mattresses.
The reasons for a smelly mattress?
The following are some obvious reasons for a smelly mattress. Check out some more facts about mattresses on news weeks.
- If you sweat a lot, then it is just you and your body’s chemical reactions. In summers, turning on the AC can help, but sometimes it is simply unavoidable.
- Keeping a pet can also make your mattress smell bad. To reduce this risk, keep your pet clean and give it a bath daily.
- Small kids who are not potty-trained can also make your mattress smell awful.
- Not replacing the sheets every day can also cause an increase in the bad smell.
- Eating while sitting on the mattress.
What can we do?
Before you jump on to the solution, it is smart to do the following things.
- If your mattress is just new and is not smelling good, contact the sellers immediately. It might be some chemical or material non-suitability reason. You clearly cannot do anything about it. Only the company will replace the mattress.
- Read the give instructions carefully. You need some special soaps and detergents to clean the mattress as each mattress is different from the others.
- In case you have lost the instruction manual, search on the internet about the best cleaning methods for your mattress type.
Useful suggestions to deodorize and clean mattresses.
For decades, the following methods to clean the mattresses are doing wonders. These are some affordable tricks that can help in saving a lot of money.
1. Use the vacuum cleaner.
The air spaces in a mattress are very tiny, and you cannot clean them by hand. The best tool to thoroughly clean the mattress is a vacuum cleaner. After you have dusted the mattress, take a vacuum cleaner with an upholstery cleaner. Move the vacuum cleaner slowly over the mattress.
Now, flip it, and clean the other side of the mattress. If your mattress is made up of a single material on both sides, it is better to change the side.
2. Using distilled vinegar
The distilled vinegar is also known as the cleaning vinegar because of anti-odor and anti-bacterial properties. Mix equal parts of distilled vinegar with water and keep it in a spray bottle. Spray this DIY solution to clean the mattresses.
3. Try baking soda
If you are afraid of disturbing the chemical material composition of your mattresses. Use baking soda. It is a natural deodorizer, making your mattress smell nice. Sprinkle the baking soda on your mattress, and let it sit there for about two hours. Now clean it with the help of a vacuum cleaner.
4. Clean all the bedding materials
Sometimes it is the combined smell of all the bedding materials. Try washing all the pillowcases and bedsheets. It can help in reducing the bad odor.
The best thing to avoid this situation is encasing your mattress in a water-resistant case. Along with it, you should also practice some safety measures to stop this disturbing experience.